On Air Saturday Night Live Mike Reynolds | 10:00pm - 1:00am

Standoff over delay to Manx Gas rebate

Government blames Manx Gas and vice versa

There's still a standoff between Manx Gas and the government over whose fault the delay to a rebate was.

Yesterday it was confirmed thousands of customers would get £58 off their bills within the coming weeks after over a year of talks.

You can find out more HERE.

Jo Cox is the chief executive of the Islands Energy Group and says talks weren't stalled by them:

Manx Utilities chairman Rob Callister has since responded saying he's more than happy to repeat his public message claiming any delay in getting the refund is not due to the government.

He's asked for Jo Cox to withdraw the statement she made on Mannin Line.

You can watch the full interview with Jo Cox, and Manx Gas managing director Adrian Baglow, below:

In an email to Manx Radio, the government said that in previous discussions last year, Manx Gas wanted to deduct their internal costs of applying the rebate from the amount paid to customers (estimate £20 - £25k); the Council of Ministers did not agree with this.

Adding that discussions surrounding the rebate had resumed after a change in management at Manx Gas last Autumn and that an agreement was reached on the proposal, which resulted in a news release in December that advised that it was likely to go into Bills in February - which has been met.

The rebate represents the Government’s portion of the rebate promoted to customers by Manx Gas last year under voluntary regulation; Manx Gas has not met its contribution that was on the table.

 

More from Isle of Man News