On Air Goll as Gaccan Simon Clarke & Phil Gawne | 4:00pm - 6:00pm

FC Isle of Man push closer to safety with Lower Breck win

Photo Credit: Gary Weightman/Vannin Photos

Higgins and Doyle on target in professional performance

FC Isle of Man moved themselves closer to league safety after a hard-fought 2-0 victory away at Lower Breck in the NWCFL Premier Division this afternoon (1 April).

Charlie Higgins composed solo finish put the Manx visitors in front on 17 minutes only moments after Sean Doyle had seen his header from a corner tipped onto the crossbar.

The Ravens then doubled their lead nine minutes into the second-half with Sean Doyle netting a decisive header from close range.

The result means a win for FC Isle of Man tomorrow (2 April) against Longridge Town would see them secure safety in the division for next season.

A frantic opening 15 minutes saw Lower Breck rattle FC IoM goalkeeper, Matthew Quirk's post with a strike from a tight angle seven minutes in before Ravens striker Sean Doyle saw his header from a corner tipped onto the crossbar eight minutes after.

The Manx side then broke the deadlock in the 17th minute when a well-weighted Ste Whitley pass found the onrushing Charlie Higgins who strode in on goal and slotted a calm strike into the back of the net.

A spell of pressure from the hosts then followed with FC Isle of Man having to hold resolute - a scrappy end to the first period saw neither goalkeeper hugely tested to see the Ravens take their slender lead into half-time.

Into the second half and it was a bright start for the Island outfit who nearly found themselves two-up five minutes after the restart, but Sam Baines' effort sailed just wide after some neat play in the final third.

With 54 minutes gone FC Isle of Man then doubled their advantage when a pin-point cross from the left from Michael Williams found striker, Sean Doyle, who was able to direct his near-post header home for 2-0.

Lower Breck then upped the tempo again to push themselves back into the contest testing the FC Isle of Man defence going into the final 30 minutes with the Ravens having to hold firm.

Defender, Chris Cannell, was forced into making a goal-line clearance with six minutes to go to keep the Island side's clean sheet alive and ultimately the Manx side were able to hold out for three points and a rare clean sheet.

FC Isle of Man's next fixture is away against Longridge Town tomorrow (2 April) at The Recycling Lives Ground, kicking-off at 1.45pm.

More from Isle of Man Sport