On Air Night Flight | Midnight - 5:00am

Geordies thrash Laxey

Aside from all the controversy (see earlier report), St George’s will be pleased with their start to the campaign after thrashing rivals Laxey 4-1 at Glencrutchery Road on Saturday.

Midfielder Neil Brogan – who has been immediately suspended by the Manx Football Association for pushing over referee Tony McMeiken following his late dismissal - fired Laxey into a 1-0 half-time lead.

However, St George’s hit back to take the points, although two of their goals were hotly disputed.

Martin Torr (two), Callum Morrissey and Chris Bass junior were the scorers for the champions.

Oliver Theobold was also sent-off for Laxey as the Miners finished with nine men.

Elsewhere, St Mary's went down to a surprise 1-0 defeat at Ayre, thanks to a goal from Johnny Cowley, while newly promoted Old Boys continued their superb start to life back in the top flight with an impressive 1-0 victory over Rushen – Craig Stewart the scorer in the second half.

Peel showed their title credentials, coming from behind to defeat Douglas Royal 3-1 at Noble’s Park.

Ian Crellin put Royal in front but Peel fought back through Scott Mylchreest (two) and Marc Kelly.

The westerners’ success was marred by an injury to Rob Cottier.

St John’s won 2-1 at newly promoted Corinthians thanks to Johnny Holland and an own goal.

Nigel Moody reduced the arrears but St John’s took the points.

In the remaining match, Ramsey – who finished the game with 10 men - claimed an important three points with a 1-0 win at Gymns, courtesy of a Darren Jones header.

In CFS Division Two, favourites Michael thrashed relegated Marown 5-1.

The score was deadlocked at 1-1 at half-time but goals from Michael Perks, Michael Shimmin, Jamie Moffatt and Sean Rooney (two) saw the home side run out comfortable winners.

Kenny Magee scored for Marown.

John Howarth was the star of the show as Castletown won 4-0 at Ramsey Youth Centre.

Howarth came on at half-time when an Ashley Southern goal was all that separated the sides.

However, he made quite an impact, grabbing a second half hat-trick as Town maintained their winning start to the season.

The Police won well at the other side to be relegated, Braddan, recording a 2-1 success, while Ronaldsway won by the same scoreline at Jurby, with Mark Rees one of the Rockets’ scorers.

Colby edged out Pulrose 3-2 in an exciting game down south.

James Cain scored twice for the home side with Barry English notching a double for Pulrose.

Mark Wolfenden hit a hat-trick as Onchan won 6-2 at Douglas and District.
Dean Gough, Jamie Carr and Mark Walmsley scored the others.

One of the other improved sides in the division, Malew, saw off Foxdale 3-0 with goals from John Kelly, Ali Clarke and Jack Charmer.

More from Isle of Man Sport