On Air The Folk Show John Barker | 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Last-gasp heartbreak for Ravens against Cheadle Town

Photo Credit: Gary Weightman/Vannin Photos

Visitors score second-half stoppage time winner to hand Manx side defeat

A last-gasp second-half stoppage time strike saw FC Isle of Man on the end of an agonising 1-0 home defeat to Cheadle Town in the NWCFL Premier Division this evening (25 November).

In a cagey affair, both sides struggled in the first half to carve open many chances, with a potential penalty shout for Cheadle's Jack McConnell the major talking point of the first 45.

During the second period Ravens' stopper Ben Wilkinson denied Cheadle's Jordan Lazenbury in a 1v1 on 60 minutes whilst Jordan Latham produced a top stop to deny Sean Doyle with eight minutes to go.

With almost the last attack of the game in the 94th minute, a late looping header from Lee Knight in off Wilkinson's crossbar saw the Manchester-based visitors snatch maximum points right at the death.

Both teams came into today's contest at The Bowl in rich veins of form with both having only lost once since 30 September.

However, much of the first period saw both cancelling each other out in a cagey midfield tussle with Wilkinson and Latham both largely bystanders.

A flash point came on 33 minutes as an incisive Cheadle Town break down the right flank saw Lee Knight square a pass to Jack McConnell in the Ravens penalty area with McConnell going down under a challenge from Alex Maitland, but referee Samuel Oldfield quickly waved away the vocal protests of the away side.

After a stagnant first 45, both teams returned to the mission of trying to break the deadlock in the second half.

On the hour mark, a sloppy back pass from FC Isle of Man's Callum Sherry sent Cheadle's Jordan Lazenbury in one-on-one with Wilkinson, but Lazenbury could only fire his gilt-edged chance straight at the Ravens goalkeeper.

With chances also at a premium in the second half, the hosts' biggest chance fell the way of Sean Doyle with eight minutes remaining as he was found with a through ball on the left edge of the Cheadle Town box with Doyle's resulting strike at goal being tipped over the bar acrobatically by Latham to keep things level.

With the contest seemingly heading for a stalemate, drama was to strike in the 94th minute.

A cross from the left wing by Cheadle Town's Max Sutton found striker Lee Knight at the far post with his header heading over Wilkinson and off the underside of the crossbar - after a brief delay, the goal stood as it was adjudged the header had crossed the line sparking wild celebrations from the Cheadle Town squad as they swooped for all three points.

FC Isle of Man's next match will see them face Squires Gate at The Bowl on Saturday, 2 December, kicking-off at 6pm.


Man of the Match: Jamie Corlett (FC Isle of Man)

More from Isle of Man Sport