On Air Saturday Live Paul Moran | 12:30pm - 5:00pm

Manx Rally postponed

Organisers 'left with no choice'

Manx Auto Sport has announced the 2020 Manx Rally, scheduled for 15/16 May, will be postponed, following the announcements made by the Isle of Man Government yesterday.

A statement says the organising committee has been closely monitoring the Covid-19 situation over recent weeks and was well advanced in the planning of the popular closed-road stage rally which had already attracted a capacity entry.

However, the Isle of Man authorities have elected to ramp up protection against the pandemic on the Island and therefore organisers were left with no choice but to postpone the event to a later date.

Clerk of the Course Mark Quayle says, "This has not been an easy decision for the organisers, who have been working tirelessly to offer one of the best events in our history.

"We had already attracted a bumper entry and had devised a superb route, with two days of classic motorsport on the island on offer. But, of course, the health and wellbeing of everyone on the island and associated with the rally is paramount and we respect the decision of the government.

"We would like to stress that the event is currently postponed, to enable the club and the organising committee to consult with other appropriate bodies and consider all options available to them.

"A tremendous amount of hard work and effort has been put in by the organising committee over the last six months in respect to delivering a high quality event. You can be assured that the team will be back stronger than ever."

The club will issue a further update in due course and will be in contact with competitors regarding refunds.

More from Isle of Man Sport