On Air Manx Radio Breakfast Ben Hartley & Sian Cowper | 7:30am - 9:30am

Old Boys claim points as top two clash

Old Boys are back at the top of Manx football's Premier League, after a 5-0 success against previous leaders Laxey at Blackberry Lane. The visitors never got going, in what was expected to be a tighter match, and found themselves trailing by two goals at half-time. Terry Rigaux fired the ball into the top left corner to give Old Boys the lead, and their second effort was an own goal. After the break the Stewart twins, Callum and Craig, were both on target, and Drew Ward hit the fifth.

Old Boys are top on goal difference, from both Laxey and third placed Corinthians, who are in their highest league position for over 20 years. Corinthians scored five times without reply at Ayre, with all the goals coming in the second half. Their scorers included Matthew Palmer, with a brace, Jamie Stoy and Blane Slattery.

With St George's and Rushen out of league action as they contested the Charity Shield, and St Mary's also having the weekend off, the next highest team to play were seventh placed St John's, who won 2-1 at Ramsey. Scorers for the Saints were Mike Peace and Louis Jennings, with Mike Fernandez on target for the home side, who still haven't won at Ballacloan in the current campaign.

Newly promoted Ramsey Youth Centre were also at home, earning a decent point against a stronger Peel side. Elliot Cureton gave Youth Centre a first half lead, with Daniel Bell equalising in the second period.

In the remaining Premier League match, Gymns wretched start to the season continued, with a seventh consecutive defeat. This time, Castletown hit them for six, with goals from Alex Crawley and Mark Wolfenden, with two apiece, Mike Edge and Karl Clark. The final score was 6-2.

Division Two leaders Marown notched up an eighth straight league victory since the start of the season, this time winning 4-2 at home to Police. The scorers for the home side included Juan Killip (2) and Ryan Holdaway.

Marown stayed three points clear at the top, after second placed Union Mills also picked up three points, with a resounding 10-2 victory at Douglas and District. Most of the damage was done in the first half, during which the Millers netted seven times.

Douglas Royal stayed third in the table despite losing 3-1 at home to Michael, the westerners producing the performance of the day in the division. Michael's goals included a penalty converted by Paul Corlett, who suffered a very bad injury about 18 months ago.

Mid-table Foxdale were 4-0 up at half-time in their match at Braddan, and scored two more, without reply, in the second half. In the other Division Two matches, Colby recorded only their second win of the season, 5-0 at home to Ronaldsway, and Onchan had a 3-1 success at home to Pulrose.

Laxey and Old Boys shared the points in the top of the table clash in Combination Division One, and Rushen became the new leaders, thanks to their 6-1 home win over St George's.

Marown still lead Michael by a single point at the top of Combination Division Two, after both teams scored five goals, and picked up three points.