First local sporting club to achieve this
Sporting Club Isle of Man has become the first sporting organisation on the Island to have been awarded UNESCO Biosphere Community Partner status.
The club has been set up with the aim of getting Manx teams to compete off-Island: so far, cycling and football ones have been established.
SC Isle of Man says its new status will enable it to promote the overarching work being done by many in the Island in:
- protecting the Island’s natural resources
- developing the local economy in a sustainable way
- supporting and promoting the Island’s cultural heritage
- making a positive impact on the environment in the Isle of Man
- engaging with the local community
- promoting our outstanding living landscape and seascape through active involvement with UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man
SC Isle of Man's partnership director, Ty Smith, says the club's strong stance on environmentally-responsible practices is non-negotiable.
He's highlighted the likes of its partnership with Hope & Glory Sportswear (ensuring its teams can compete in 100% RPET ECOkit), and moving to an all-digital ticketing system as examples of this.